PREMIER Trends in Home Design and Décor
Interviewed by Melissa Williams
Images provided by Terra Bella Landscape Development
TOP 10 LANDSCAPE TRENDS FOR 2010
It’s always trendy to be gorgeous both inside and out as it relates to your home. Bringing the indoors out and outdoors in, requires talent from an expert in landscape design, so for this months Décor Dialogue on The Top 10 Landscape TRENDS for 2010, Jason Jarvis, owner of Terra Bella Landscape Development, gave me some growing trends for your outdoor sanctuary as we sat poolside.
1) Go GREEN! Drought tolerant plants, turf, and irrigation that save water. Zariscape and Succulents provide sustainable beauty and save water.
2) Garden ART: Patio furniture with decorative fabrics, curtains that tie in colors and styles from the inside, statement pillows, and metal or ceramic sculptures as accent pieces.
3) OUTdoor Living Rooms: Cozy cabanas, guest casitas, patio covers, umbrellas, and comfortable, classy, quality patio furniture. Jason recommends Saddleback of San Diego.
4) Cut Flowers: “BRING The OUTDOORS IN!” Peonies, Dahlias, blooming bulbs, and fruits from your garden for your kitchen.
5) Edible Gardens: Grow your own organic foods. Herbs, vegetables, and fruits. Basil, thyme, tomatoes, oranges.
6) Bromeliads & Orchids: Combined in a vase or planter create beauty mixed with tropical flare.
7) AIR Plants: Tillandsias and plants that don’t require soil, just AIR and H20.
8) Tropical Resort: Turn your backyard into an Oasis with a lush feel, pool, cabana for outdoor entertaining, and landscape with plants of mixed textures and colors.
9) Contained Beauty: Intricately arranged planters with flowering plants and bright succulents.
10) Rock-Scaping: Custom “Boulder Addresses” and “Welcome Stones” for your front yard. Jason recommends La Jolla Stone Etching.
**Tip 11, for good luck to “Grow On”: Throughout time, olive trees have been considered “symbols of peace” and may bring good luck when in front of a home.
Melissa’s advice: Go out and buy one, many, or stock in olive trees ASAP and give one to your family, friend or client! Happy New Year—make it a great one!